Advantages of Millets over Wheat
Mostly known as bird food, Millet is small-sized and round shaped grain is available in white, yellow, grey or red. Mostly we see a grey colored one. Millet is an excellent source of minerals and good for those who are allergic to gluten.
Millets (1 cup of cooked millet) contains:
Carbohydrate (g) 57
Total fat (g) 2.4
Cholesterol (mg) 0
Saturated fat (g) 0.4
Niacin (mg) 3.2
Sodium (mg) 5
Dietary fiber (g) 3.1
Magnesium (mg) 106
Protein (g) 8
Zinc (mg) 2.2
Data from wholehealthmd.com
Health Benefits of Millets:
- Good for Heart Health: Magnesium present in it lowers down the high blood pressure and hence prevents the risk of heart attacks
- Helps in repair and development of body tissue: Phosphorous present in it plays a major role lipid-containing structures such as cell membranes and nervous system structures.
- Lowers down the risk of Diabetes: Magnesium maintains insulin levels and prevents from the risk of diabetes
- Helps in avoiding Gallstones: an ultimate source of insoluble fiber, millet helps in avoiding gallstones as it reduces the secretion of bile acids
- Prevents Breast Cancer: according to studies done women eating more fiber are less prone to the risk of breast cancer as compare to women eating less or no fiber.
- Good for Weight loss: having millets keeps your colon hydrate and prevents the situation of constipation which aid in weight loss
- Take care of Postmenopausal health of women
- Lowers Down Cholesterol: Niacin (Vitamin B3), in millet lowers down cholesterol levels
- Best for Gluten-allergic people: Millet is gluten-free and non-allergic and good for sensitive people
- High source of Protein: for vegetarians it also fulfill the need of daily protein requirement
How can you include Millet in your diet?
- Can have millet porridge in breakfast
- In India during winters we use to have millet flour chapatti
- Can have it in place of rice. Just simply boil it and can have it with dal or Indian kadi
I personally enjoy Millet sweet dish: bajra laddoo and bajra n till tikki both taste amazingly.
So let’s introduce a new member in our diet i.e. Millet which is rich in minerals, full of fiber and assist in weight loss and best for gluten- allergic people.