Use oil-free foundations for skin that is prone to breakouts. A foundation that is thick or has a lot of moisturizer can make your oily skin oilier. Stay away from heavy pancake foundations that can clog pores. Instead, choose a foundation that is lightweight and won’t cause breakouts. Look for a foundation with salicylic acid like Clinique’s line of foundations for acne prone skin; these formulas can actually reduce or even prevent breakouts.
2. Avoid foundations that can irritate sensitive skin. If your skin reacts to certain cleansers or moisturizers, you may find the same problem with some foundations. Many cosmetic companies, such as Cover Girl and Lancome, have a line of hypoallergenic or noncomedogenic and fragrance free foundations designed for sensitive skin
3. Prevent and reduce signs of aging for mature skin. You probably want to stay away from powder based foundations and heavy matte foundations. These can settle into lines on your face and make you look older. Try lightweight liquid foundations with moderate coverage. Also, look for foundations that can protect your skin from further aging as well as improve your skin’s appearance now.
4. Choose a foundation with SPF. While foundations that have an SPF rating are more and more common, many foundations have no sun protection at all, so be sure to check. Makeup lines for sensitive skin often have good sun protection, so those may be a good place to find the foundation you need. Look for a foundation with an SPF of at least 15. Use a good sun screen as well to get the full protection your skin needs.
5. Use a moisturizing foundation for dry skin. Liquid foundations are probably the best choice for you. Some mineral based powder foundations can nourish your skin too, but typically powder foundations aren’t the best choice for dry skin. Department store lines like Dior as well as drugstore cosmetic brands like L’Oreal make rich creamy foundations that work well for dry skin.
6. Keep normal skin healthy with a lightweight foundation. If you don’t typically have any problems with excessively oily or dry skin, a sheer liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer will even out your skin tone and conceal minor skin flaws.