Recipe Servings: 4
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Easy
About Sabudana Khichdi Recipe | Khichdi Recipe: A light dish made with sago or sabudana, spiced lightly. Being majorly a fasting recipe, it is usually eaten the most during the festival of Navaratri when people are fasting. Sabudana Khichdi is one of the main fasting dishes from western India, especially from Maharashtra, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
Ingredients Of Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 Cup Sabudana (sago)
- 1/2 Cup Peanut (shelled and coarsely pounded), roasted
- 2 Tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Zeera (cumin seeds)
- 3-4 Sabut lal Mirch (whole dried red pepper)
- 1 sprig Kadhi patta (curry leaves)
- 2 tsp Sendha Namak (white rock salt)
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 Tbsp Hara dhania (coriander leaves)
- 1 tsp Green chillies, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Lemon juice
How to Make Sabudana Khichdi
- 1.Wash Saboodana till water clears. Soak in water to about 3 cm/ 1 1/2″ above it, for about an hour.
- 2. Drain in a colander, then spread over a thick cloth for about 1 hour. It is important for the water to drain out very well, as otherwise when cooked, the sabudana will stick together in lumps.
- 3. Mix saboodana, peanuts, salt, and chilli powder very well, so that it is coated well with this mixture.
- 4. Heat the ghee and add zeera, lal mirch and kadhi patta. When mirch darkens a bit, add saboodana mixture and turn around over low heat till cooked through. Takes a couple of minutes.
- 5. Take it off the heat, add the lemon juice and mix well.
- 6. Serve garnished with the hara dhania and the green chillies.