Recipe Servings: 5
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
About Modak Recipe | Modakam Recipe: Lord Ganesha’s favourite, modak sweet is a flour dumpling stuffed with coconut, jaggery, nutmeg and saffron. Here is a steamed modak recipe, also known as ‘ukdiche modak’, however there is a wide variety of this Indian dessert which includes fried modak as well. A popular dessert from Maharashtra which is consumed highly during the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi, modaks are now made in many parts of the country as well. Due to Lord Ganesha being ‘Modakpriya’, the one who likes modak, 21 pieces of modak are served as the offering in puja during Ganesh Chaturthi. This is an easy modak recipe with rich flavours of nuts and saffron that together appeals to our taste buds and make this sweet an irresistible one. You can also experiment with the stuffing as per your liking.
Ingredients Of Modak
- For the filling:
- 1 cup coconut, grated
- 1 cup jaggery
- A pinch of nutmeg
- A pinch of saffron
- For the shell:
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp ghee
- 1 cup rice flour
How to Make Modak
- Prepare fillling:
- 1.Heat a pan, add the grated coconut and jaggery.
- 2.Stir for about five minutes. Add the nutmeg and saffron, mix well.
- 3.Cook for another five minutes and keep aside.
- Prepare modak:
- 1.In a deep dish, boil water with ghee. Add the salt and flour. Mix well.
- 2.Cover the dish and cook till its half done.
- 3.Spread some ghee on the base of a steel bowl and while the dough is still hot, knead it well.
- 4.Now take a little dough, roll it into a ball, flatten it well, shape the edges into a flower pattern.
- 5.Put a spoonful of the filling onto the dough and seal it.
- 6.Put the dumplings in a muslin cloth and steam them for 10- 15 minutes. Serve.