Holi special (2019)Thandai recipe – How to make Thandai
- Preparation Time: 5 mins
- Cooking Time: 0 mins
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Makes 4 glasses
- 2 cups Half and Half (use regular milk)
- 2 cups Whole milk
- 1 tablespoon Rosewater
- 1/4 cup Sugar + 2 tablespoons (adjust according to taste)
- 3/4 cup Water (adjust accordingly)
THANDAI MASALA INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon Cashews
- 1 tablespoon Melon Seeds (chaar magaz)
- 1/2 teaspoon Saffron strands
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Nutmeg Powder
- 1-2 teaspoon Rose petal spread (gulkand)
- 1.5 teaspoon Fennel seeds powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Poppy Seeds
- 12 pieces of Almonds
- 15 pieces Pistachios
- 3 pieces Black Peppercorns
Method for making Thandai
- Soak almonds in water for 2 hours. Soak melon seeds in water for 2 hours, Soak poppy seeds in water for 2 hours.
2. Boil milk, add sugar and allow to dissolve. Once the sugar is dissolved, turn off heat and allow to cool. While milk is boiling, peel almonds and place in a bowl.
3. To this bowl, add the drained melon seeds, drained poppy seeds, cashew nuts, fennel seeds peppercorns and green cardamom.
4. Grind all these ingredients to a paste. Add 1/4 cup of water and grind further to a smooth paste.
5. Add the ground paste to the milk-sugar mixture and mix well. Place lid and leave aside for 15 mts.
6. In a large bowl, strain the mixture. Keep the strained liquid aside. To the residue (almond-spice mixture) add 1/2 cup water and strain again into the large bowl.
7. Add saffron strands and dried rose petals or rose essence to the strained liquid and mix. Chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
8. At the time of serving, pour into serving glasses. Top with crushed pistachios, slivered almonds and one or two saffron strands
9. Serve thandai chilled.
SOME TIPS TO CONSIDER!
- Soaking saffron strands in hot milk releases its color and flavor.
- Pour in rose water, after the thandai is cooled. You can go easy on the rose water- taste and then add more.
- No rose spread/gulkand (sweet preserve of rose petals) on hand, no worries.
- Flavour thandai recipe with double the quantity of rose water. Adding dried rose petal leaves to Thandai will elevate its taste and boost its flavour.
- Thandai tastes best when served chilled.