Brown rice good for health & Weight Loss
-Brown Rice is one of the most popular staple food of India and also an essential part of Indian thali. There are different types of rice-basmati rice, black rice, white rice and brown rice. The myth about brown rice is that it’s a luxury food item.. But no brown rice is gaining popularity because of its amazing health benefits. Want to know more? Let’s read it out
Composition of brown rice
As we all know that brown is always better than white. Still we are so much addicted to white rice because of its color and taste that it feels hesitant to switch from white to brown rice. Well it’s never too late as its indispensable for health conscious people to know the nutritional value of brown rice over its counterpart.
is a whole grain rice where only the exterior covering is removed. While white rice has to go for further rounds of milling and polishing to remove the bran layer and germ. This process though increases the shelf life but decreases the fiber content and nutritional value.
As per the study conducted by American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, brown rice is the most favorable in terms of both nutritional and other inherent health benefits
Why you should go for brown rice?
Brown rice is healthier alternative because it doesn’t have to pass through the process where the underneath layers of bran and germ are removed and only the starchy endosperm is left. In this process several irons, vitamins, zinc, magnesium and minerals are also strayed which are present in brown rice. Sometimes iron, vitamin B1 & B2 are added artificially into white rice but manganese is not added. The brown rice is not fully deprived of the hull and bran which add “natural wholeness” to the grain and which is a source of proteins, thiamine, calcium, magnesium, fiber, and potassium.
Benefits of brown rice
- Helpful for Diabetics: brown rice is low in its glycemic content so it can prove a healthy staple food for diabetics. As it doesn’t increase your insulin spikes.
- Best for weight loss: brown rice has fiber in it and we all know that fiber is good for the digestion tract of our body and thus helps in weight loss. Moreover after having brown rice our stomach feel contented which results in lesser meal proportions.
- Controls cholesterol level: the oil present in brown rice not only helps in lowering down the bad cholesterol (LDL) but also good for body.
- Source of anti-oxidants: brown rice is full of anti-oxidants in same quantity as found in in strawberries, blueberries and other fruits
- Rich in Manganese: manganese is good for our nervous and reproductive system and also helps in incorporating our body fats.one cup of brown rice can fulfill the 80% daily requirement of manganese in our body
- An ideal baby food: good for rapid growth cycles in babies as it contains heavy nutrients and fiber in it
- Full of Selenium: selenium present in brown rice helps avoid many health problems like cancer, arthritis and heart diseases.
- High in fiber: brown rice is a rich source of fiber which can prevent colon cancer. Fiber present in brown rice connect to cancer causing elements and toxins present in our body and thus eliminate and keep them away from the colon wall
How brown rice is cooked?
You can soak 1 cup nicely washed rice in 3 cups of water for 1-2 hrs. Cook on low heat in a lid covered pan and cook till water evaporates. While cooking we should not throw the excess cooking water as it strains away all the essential nutrients required for its digestion.
Nutritional value of brown rice
According to NutritionData.com 195gm (1 CUP) of brown rice contains:
Total fat 2g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 10 mg
Dietary Fiber 1g
Well most of us has a myth that eating rice can be fattening but actually the truth is that rice is free of gluten and has lower fat level. It is also cholesterol free and a superb energy booster because of carbohydrates present in it. Carbs are also necessary for daily body development and maintenance.
Misconception that having rice at night can increase your waistline. Fact is having it at night is the best time as the glucose release from it converts into energy. So have rice without worrying about your waistline.
SO EAT HEALTHY STAY HEALTHY……