Bhel Puri is a popular Indian savory snack made with puffed rice, tossed with vegetables and tangy chutneys.
The vegetables used in preparation of Bhel Puri may vary in different regions, but it most commonly consists of boiled potatoes, diced onions, and tomatoes. Some people also like to add diced cucumber and sprouts.
Another essential ingredient of Bhel is Sev which are savory thin crunchy noodles made of chickpea flour. Sev is mixed in the Bhel itself as well as used for garnishing.
Apart from this you can add various other ingredients in bhel like roasted peanuts, paapdi (thin crunchy wafers), mixed namkeen etc.
The mixture is then spiced with Salt, Chillies and Chaat Masala along with Tamarind Chutney and Coriander Chutney which bind the ingredients together and lend a sweet & spicy taste to the Bhel.
If you don’t have the Tamarind and Green Chutneys ready at home and are craving for a quick delicious snack, you can try this quick Bhel Puri recipe that is made with tomato ketchup & spicy mixed namkeen.
Bhel Puri is a popular snack food and is served over road side stalls where it is many times served in paper cones. Bhelpuri is also available at most Indian Joints and is served as a tangy and crunchy snack for teatime.
Bhel Puri has a strong association with the city of Mumbai and is the dominant snack on the beaches of Mumbai, such as Chowpati and Juhu.
To make Bhel Puri at home follow the detailed step by step recipe with photos posted below.
Nutrition (per serving)
Ingredients For Bhel Puri Recipe
- 2 Cups Puffed Rice (Murmura/Mamra)
- 5-6 Paapdi (Crunchy Salty Wafers)
- 1 Tablespoon Roasted Peanuts
- 1/2 Cup Sev (think crunchy noodles made from Gram Flour)
- 1/2 Cup Onions
- 1/2 Cup Boiled Potatoes
- 1/2 Cup Tomato
- 1 Green Chilli
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (Dhania)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Tamarind Chutney (Imli Chutney)
- 2 Teaspoons Green Coriander Chutney
- 1 Teaspoon Salt, or to taste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Chilli Powder
- 1 Teaspoon chat masala
Step By Step Instructions for Bhel Puri Recipe
- Take puffed rice in a large bowl. Add 5-6 pieces of Namkeen Papdi, roasted Peanutes and Sev. You can also add Mixed Namkeen, Bundi or roasted Chana Dal.
- Add boiled Potato, diced Tomatoes, finely diced Onion and fresh cut pieces of green Chilli into the bowl.
- Add Red Chilli Powder, Chaat Masala Powder and Salt to the bowl.
- Add Tamarind Chutney (Imli Chutney), Green Coriander Chutney along with a dash of fresh lemon juice and mix all the ingredients well.
- Bhel Puri is ready. Garnish it with Sev and freshly cut coriander leaves (Hara Dhaniya). Serve it immediately otherwise it will become soggy. If preparing for guests, prepare all dry ingredients and wet ingredients separately and then mix them just before serving so that the Bhel remains crunchy.